Sunday, March 25, 2012

three little hints

i'm not ready to disclose the name of my poet quite yet.  you all are very good at figuring things out. patience, logic, reading each others comments and ideas, process of elimination and some thinking outside the box will help.

i will give you three additional clues today.

1. both poems are by the same person.

2. yes, sara was right when she said why would i mention these poems if we don't know the writer.  this person is anything but a well-known poet, but dennis recognized the name as soon as he read it.  so leslie, you can give up googling.

3. the publication in which these works are found was probably not widely circulated and was printed in 1984.

good luck, i hope you keep coming up with ideas.  don't get impatient.  the answer will charm and delight you as much as it did me when dennis brought this book home.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm just trying to think who wrote poetry here in Emery County. I'm going to guess Elizabeth Hanson. I hope I'm right!

sara said...

So we think this poet is from Emery County. I am totally stumped. I read The Progress. I don't think Elizabeth Hanson could have written those lines. I am not sure that Montell could have either. I am at a complete loss.

Miranda Gutierrez said...

This just seems so unfair.. I think it's probably that lady that does book signings at Coast to Coast hehe...

Alan and Shelley said...

I just thought that Dennis must not have known this person very well and that the person must be pretty well educated because of the nice poetry. I'm making another guess and saying Var Lynn Peacock because that would be pretty funny, don't you think? Or maybe Sam Singleton, or maybe an English teacher. I'm stumped - more hints, please.

The Schauerhamers said...

I feel a little bit out of the loop on this one considering I'm not a big fan of poetry and am not familiar with who wrote what, especially ones who grew up in Emery County but I will take a guess with the lady who was very inspairin' in church on Sunday's....Marie..."You gotta have faith!" Not sure if she was educated enough to have written such good poetry but she's my guess because other than that, I'm at a complete loss.

Anne Adele said...

I'm coming in late on this, but my guess goes to Grace Johansen. Maybe she wrote poetry on the side during her retirement years. I love this guessing game. Seth is putting in his vote for "Willard." This is a reference for Miranda. Now after some thought Seth is thinking that maybe his education may be a little shallow for "Ebla."

Jennifer said...

Ok, this is driving me crazy! I'm thinking that it might be someone we knew better than Mrs. Hanson. I'm not sure if Dora Otterstrom wrote poetry but she was well educated and did teach over in Cleveland for a while. Also didn't Nita Hampshire write those immortal lyrics "Camp Dale, Castle Dale"? Maybe it was her.